Contact Amy E. Burke
Conkle, Kremer & Engel, PLC
3130 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 500
Santa Monica, California
Amy E. Burke
Amy Burke represents personal care product manufacturers, clothing designers, nutritional supplement distributors and electronic equipment manufacturers. Her practice includes litigation of trademark and copyright infringement, false advertising, unfair competition and other business matters, as well as protection and registration of intellectual property, and drafting business agreements. Amy focuses on the protection of non-traditional trademarks such as fragrance and color, as well as issues involving the analysis of language in branding and advertising.
Experience, Presentations and Publications
- Successfully prosecuted application for registration of trademark in fragrance of personal care products, one of three fragrance registrations on the Principal Register.
- Prevailed in motion to dismiss out-of-state client from jewelry design copyright and trademark infringement action for lack of purposeful direction toward California plaintiff.
- Represented personal care product manufacturer in multi-million dollar acquisitions of worldwide intellectual property rights.
- Handled international trademark portfolios for high-profile personal care product and consumer goods manufacturers.
- Resolved false advertising claims brought by a putative class action plaintiff against our client, a manufacturer and distributor of weight loss supplements, at nuisance value.
- Beauty Industry Market Access Subject Matter Expert in domestic and international intellectual property and California regulatory compliance, Center for International Trade Development, Long Beach, CA, 2013-present
- Intellectual Property Case Study, UCLA Anderson School Executive MBA Program, Los Angeles, CA, March 2014 (guest lecturer)
- “Navigating in Challenging Regulatory Waters: Updates on California and Federal Compliance,” Beauty Industry West, Los Angeles, CA, October 2013
- “What’s Your Game Plan?” Personal Care Products Counsel Emerging Issues Conference, Santa Monica, CA, November 2012 (co-presenter)
- “Linguistics and the Law,” UCLA Semantics Seminar, November 2012 (guest lecturer)
- “Intellectual Property Primer,” ATLA Business Torts Section Newsletter, Vol. 11, No. 1, Fall 2006
- “Protecting Your Space: Business Law,” Pilates Space: The workbook for inspired entrepreneurs. Nicola Conraths-Lange and Jens Lange, Logokinesis: Ann Arbor, 2005
- “It’s really fascinating work: Differences in evaluative adjectives across academic registers.” In Meyer, C. & P. Leistyna (eds.) Corpus Analysis: Language structure and use. Amsterdam: Rodopi. pp.1-18 (2003) (co-author with John M. Swales)
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 2010
- University College London, M. Phil. (Philosophy), 2004
- Dissertation on the philosophy of language and science
- University of Michigan, B.A. (Philosophy and Linguistics), 2001
- with Distinction and High Honors
- International Trademark Association
- American Bar Association (Intellectual Property Law Section & Young Lawyers Division)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- State Bar of California, 2011
- All Federal Courts in California